Most of my summer days have been passed in an attempt to spend time away from the stove and trying to satiate my snacking needs; between tedious work days these recipes came in handy for those much needed work breaks in office and home.
The recipes were a mix of sudden hunger needs and creation within my foodie brain. The mango salsa was made by me for the first time in a tryst to replace the avocado which is not readily available in India. My favourite childhood, ‘jhal moori’, was made just the way ‘ma’ used to make it with mustard oil with an extra additions of a few vegetables at hand. My new found love has been chickpea salad with a homemade tahini sauce, which is best eaten when a little chilled while the tahini grabs on to all the other ingredients for an everlasting salad experience.
Papad Tortias with Mango Salsa
- 1 cup mangoes diced
- 2 tbsp spring onions finely chopped
- 1 small red apple diced finely
- ½ cup red bell peppers diced finely
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Punjabi masala papads
- Combine all the ingredients except the papad in a bowl.
- Refrigerate the salsa for ½ an hour.
- Cut the papad in triangular shapes and toast.
Jhaal Moori (Spiced Puffed Rice)
- 2 cups of puffed rice
- 2 tbsp of mustard oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup of roasted moong dal (or any other kind of savoury mixture)
- ½ cup tomatoes finely diced
- ½ cup cucumbers deseeded and finely diced
- ½ cup onions finely diced
- ½ cup coriander finely chopped
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- You are done!
Lebanese Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- ½ cup red bell peppers diced roughly
- ½ cup tomatoes diced roughly
- ½ cup mint chopped finely
- ½ cup diced red apples
- ½ cup roughly diced cucumbers
- 3 tbsp tahini (I normally prefer homemade tahini but store bought works fine)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Mix in a bowl!
These are to be enjoyed with a cool lemonade or any other summary drinks you fancy.
A version of this article was published in Parenting Circle Magazine, June 2015 edition